Wednesday, August 18, 2004

WHSmith

When I finished in the office I thought I would pop along to WHSmith and use up the voucher that my friend Ann gave me as a birthday gift.

I went to WHSmith with a wish list of An Autobiography: The Story of My Experiments with Truth (Mahatma Gandhi), The Autobiography of Martin Luther King Jr (Martin Luther King), The Autobiography (Betty Boothroyd), Momentum: The Struggle for Peace, Politics and the People (Mo Mowlam) and Hope and History: Making Peace in Ireland (Gerry Adams).

When I buy books I prefer to buy paperbacks to hardbacks because:
1) They are lighter and so easy to carry in backpacks, rucksacks etc.
2) They take up less space on your bookshelf
3) Easy to read on Buses, Trains, Planes etc

However when I got to WHSmith I was surprised to find that they had all sorts of Biographies by all sorts of people. These included My Life (Bill Clinton), From Here to Maternity: One Mother of a Journey (Mel Giedroyc), Ricky (Ricky Tomlinson), Gazza: My Story (Paul Gascoigne) and Being Jordan (Katie Price). With no disrespect to Bill Clinton, Mel Giedroyc, Ricky Tomlinson, Paul Gascoigne and Katie Price (Jordan) which one of them has really lived life which is more interesting then Mahatma Gandhi or Martin Luther King or which one of them apart from Bill Clinton has really achieved more then Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Betty Boothroyd, Mo Mowlam or Gerry Adams.

It really pissed me off that I saw all these books by so called celebrities who no one will care about in the next few months or years where as the biographies or autobiographies of people who have changed the world for years to come were not to be seen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home