Tuesday, January 04, 2005

I have just been reading Crime Against Humanity and thought that I should respond to some of the points raised in the article.


Iftikhar wrote:

"The first wave of Muslims arrived with three or four languages including English but the next generation born and educated by native teachers has been subject to learn English in local accents, making them mis-fit not only for the British society at large but also for the whole world".

Not true, when I was at Secondary School in Birmingham from 1994-1999 I learnt Gujrati, which is meant to be my home language.

Iftikhar wrote:

"A Muslim is the citizen of this small global village. On top of that they have been discouraged to learn Arabic and Urdu, making them cut off from their cultural roots".

Again not true, I was born in Birmingham and have lived almost all my life here. While I never learnt Arabic and Urdu at primary or secondary school I was never discouraged to do so and in fact I did go to an "Mosque School" here in Birmingham to learn Arabic, Urdu and about Islam until my parents thought that I should stop going so that I could focus on my GCSE's.

Iftikhar wrote:

"They are unable to have a good communication with their parents and elders".

My two grandfathers who were born and raised in India before they moved to Malawi in Africa spoke/speak better English then I do. My grandmothers both understood/understand English and both my parents were educated at English speaking schools in Malawi.

Iftikhar wrote:

"All of them suffer from Identity Crises resulting in mental, emotional and social problems."

I suffer from an identity crises because I don’t know whether I'm an Indian, Malawian or British person not for any other reason but I don’t loose any sleep over it accepting that I am an citizen of a global village. My identity crisis does not result in mental, emotional or social problems for me.

Iftikhar wrote:

"Now Muslim Imams will need to show a basic command of spoken English before being allowed to enter the country to satisfy the spiritual needs of the Muslim community."

As a Muslim I think that’s a good thing because Imams will now be able to talk to young British Muslims and non Muslims in their language rather then through translators so there wont be the chance of a person not sufficiently educated in Islam changing the meaning of things in translation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home