Tuesday, January 02, 2007

This Life + 10


As some of you may know This Life + 10 will be on at 9pm on BBC2 this evening. Ten years ago when This Life aired I was only 13 years old and not so interested in programmes such as this therefore I can't remember it and happen to miss it when it was repeated on BBC2 before Christmas however I plan to watch the programme tonight to see what it is all about.


When I woke up this morning I switched on to bbc radio 5 live and they were asking people to call, email or text and let them know what they were doing ten years ago and whether they are doing the same or how their life has changed since.


This got me thinking what was it that I wanted to be doing now ten years ago. I am finding it really difficult to remember but as far I can recall ten years ago I wanted to grow up to become a sports agent or a football commentator. As anyone who knows me will know none of those are true now and I doubt that I’ll ever end up doing any of those any time soon.


I also started thinking about what I wanted to be doing ten years from now which really worries me as ten years ago I had narrowed my list down to two and now I have no idea at all about what I want to do. Back in November 2004 I listed Academic, Campaigner, Charity fundraiser, Fair Trader, Journalist, Peace Advocate, Policy Developer, Refugee Advisor, Regeneration Worker, Relief Worker, Researcher, Strategist, Sustainability Advisor, Sustainable Tour Guide and Teacher as possible careers for me. Given that I may be just six months from finishing my academic life I have to seriously start thinking about what I want to do because if I don’t think I could just jump at the first opportunity of employment and end up doing that for the rest of my life.


From the list the jobs that really interest me are Campaigner, Charity fundraiser, Policy Developer and Researcher from the list above and the one that I wish to add to that is Conference & Events Co-ordinator/Planner.


If anyone has any advice, experience or knowledge that they wish to share please do not hesitate to contact me.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We end up with the possibility of working well over 40 plus years and considering the workplace today it is likely that you will have several careers. Just look at Sir Menzies Campbell!

My friend at the age of 59 is training to be a teaching assistant after spending many unfulfilled years in an office.

I have done a variety of jobs that have given me a lot of useful knowledge and experience.

The main thing to ensure is that you are doing a job that gives you job satisfaction, which challenges you and allows you to learn new things.

Let the world be your oyster!

5/1/07 00:39  
Blogger Adam Nazir Ahmed said...

by the time I start working I should be 24 and if I live to work till I'm 68 then I will have had a 44 year working life. I hope that I dont spend all that time doing just one thing. My main concern is that I dont know what I want to do when I finish at uni

5/1/07 17:12  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home